William Wakefield Memorial
The William Wakefield Memorial is the oldest built structure at the Basin Reserve, installed on the Western side of the ground in 1882. The unique monopteros actually has its origins 24 years earlier when Colonel William Wakefield died. Wakefield played a key role in the New Zealand Company’s settlement of Wellington and his friends began fundraising for a memorial almost immediately after his death in 1848. However, the memorial wasn’t ordered until 1862 and it took longer still to be installed. Although the Memorial has been moved several times over the years, it now sits very close to its original location.
RA Vance stand
Named after Robert Vance, the development of the RA Vance Stand began in 1978 and saw it completed in 1980. Robert served both Wellington and New Zealand Cricket for many years. When the RA Vance stand was opened a substantial area was set aside for the entertainment of visiting officials, local dignitaries, administrators and former players making the stand a valuable addition to the Basin Reserve. Building the stand also enabled the playing surface to be redeveloped from a rectangle into an oval.
CS Dempster & JR Reid Gates
The gate at the northern entrance to the Basin is named after Charles ‘Stewie’ Dempster. Born in 1903, Stewie lived much of his life close to the Basin Reserve. A talented batsman, he was encouraged at a young age by his father to score centuries with a reward of five shillings for each one. Dempster would go on to score New Zealand’s first Test century at the Basin in 1930.
The gate at the southern end of the Basin Reserve is named after John R Reid who from 1948 was a special hero of the Basin for nearly two decades. JR was an accomplished bowler, fieldsman, coach, and selector who is still rated as one of the greatest captains and all-rounders New Zealand has ever had.
Wes Armstrong Cottage
The groundsman’s cottage, dating back to the 1890s, is the oldest building at the Basin Reserve. Originally situated near the current scoreboard, the cottage was built as changing rooms during the ground’s multi-sport heyday. The building was moved to its current site in 1915 and was extensively refurbished in 2015 when it was named the Wes Armstrong Cottage in honour of the former groundsman.
Edward Dixon Memorial Clock
The Edward Dixon Memorial Clock is named after a well-known Wellington businessman who had a passion for cricket. A year after Edward’s death in October 1890, his son wrote to the Mayor asking for a clock to be installed on the Caledonian Grandstand in memory of his father. The original clock disappeared during the demolition of the Caledonian Grandstand but a new electric clock was installed over the main door of the new stand when it opened in 1925.
New Zealand Cricket Museum
Located at the historic Basin Reserve is the New Zealand Cricket Museum which was established in 1987. Since the Museum opened more than 20,000 objects have been added to the collection, including one of the world’s oldest bats; the 1743 Addington Bat, and gear used by cricket stars Bert Sutcliffe, Sir Richard Hadlee, Trish McKelvey, Stephen Fleming, Sophie Devine, and Grant Elliott.