BLACKCAPS v Australia, Second Test, The WACA, Perth
> ROSS TAYLOR
- Ross Taylor’s 290 was the BLACKCAPS’ first Test double-century against Australia;
- It’s also the first Test double-century at the WACA by a visiting batsman – Hashim Amla made 196 in 2012;
- Ross Taylor passed Martin Crowe’s 188 from 1985 for the BLACKCAPS’ highest individual score in Tests v Australia;
- He also surpassed ‘Tip’ Foster’s 112-year-old record for the highest score in Australia by a visiting batsman – Tip hit 287 in 1903;
- 290 is the highest score by a BLACKCAPS’ batsman outside of New Zealand, in fact, it’s the highest outside of the Basin Reserve;
- When he reached 205 in the first innings, Ross Taylor became the 5th BLACKCAPS’ batsman to pass 5000 runs in his Test career;
- He was the second-fastest New Zealander to the mark, taking 120 innings while Martin Crowe achieved it in 117;
- In his first innings’ 290, Ross Taylor hit 43 fours – a New Zealand record – it’s also the highest score by a New Zealander not to include a six;
- Throughout the Test, Taylor hit 48 fours – another New Zealand record and good enough for fourth equal on the all-time list for any country (thanks @shortflyslip);
- Taylor’s first innings’ strike rate of 77.54 was the 7th highest in Test history for an innings of 250+ – David Warner’s first innings’ 253 (s/r 88.46) sits ahead of him as do four innings by India’s Virender Sehwag;
- Ross Taylor’s 290 was his 13th Test century, second on the list of most Test centuries for the BLACKCAPS (behind Martin Crowe with 17);
- It was also his 28th international century, making him the BLACKCAPS’ most prolific century-scorer (passing Nathan Astle’s 27);
- Ross Taylor’s Test run aggregate was 326 – the third highest for the BLACKCAPS behind Martin Crowe with 329 and Stephen Fleming’s 343 (both against Sri Lanka in 1991 and 2003, respectively)
> KANE WILLIAMSON
- When this series began, Kane Williamson was 11th on the BLACKCAPS’ all-time Test run-scorers list, he’s now moved his tally to 3596 – good enough for 8th spot;
- Across all internationals in 2015, Kane Williamson has scored 2334 runs – this in the Top 20 for the highest scoring years of all-time. With a few games to come in 2015, Ricky Ponting’s 2833 scored in 2005 is in his sights.
> ROSS TAYLOR & KANE WILLIAMSON
- Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor put on 265 for the third wicket in the first innings – the BLACKCAPS’ highest Test partnership for any wicket against Australia;
- The pair also moved their career partnership tally to 2248, making them the highest scoring duo in BLACKCAPS’ history (and just outside the top 50 most prolific pairs from all countries);
- With another 50-run partnership in the second innings, Taylor & Williamson took their tally of 50+-run Test partnerships to 18, passsing Nathan Astle and Stephen Fleming.
> TIM SOUTHEE
- With the wicket of Adam Voges in Australia’s second innings, Tim Southee took his total in all internationals to 328, pushing him ahead of Kyle Mills into fourth spot on the BLACKCAPS’ all-time list.